Job ID 5843
Experience Required 5-10 years
Package car allowance, bonus + healthcare + 25 days hols
A respected main contractor having been established for well over 50 years have decided to recruit a full time knowledgeable QS with a proven track record in traditional build works including commercial, industrial, education and healthcare.
They wish to recruit a QS to take on the independent running of at least a couple of projects developing client relationships and genuinely help grow the commercial department reporting into the commercial director. Basically this role will need a QS who is comfortable in a client facing capability and be an example to more junior commercial QS’s.
- Present themselves and the business in a professional manner at all times.
- Support site teams and Assistant/Senior Quantity Surveyors in delivering the aims of the business.
- Ensure Company policies and procedures are being adhered to.
- Promote team building.
- Manage and mentor AQS as required.
- Provide support to AQS as required.
- Oversee a number of projects with the support from a Senior Contracts Manager.
- Assist the contracts team to maintain/achieve the contract programme.
- Ensure tenders are adequate to cover QHSE matters including safe systems of work, adequate welfare facilities and other provisions for the effective QHSE execution of the work.
- Attend scoping/ survey meetings as required on select schemes.
- Request that the job number is then replicated in Focal Point.
- Liaison with PQS/ Cost Manager throughout costing process/ offer assistance as far as possible.
- Liaison with Contracts Management allocated to project to determine programme/ works requirements.
- Review client issued scope of works/ architect’s drawings to ensure that these include all works discussed at initial scoping meeting.
- Formulation of costing doc using SOR/ Negotiated rates, supplemented with budget costs.
- Settlement of cost plan with allocated Senior QS/ Account Commercial Lead prior to submission to the client / PQS.
- Agreement of costing doc/ contract sum with PQS including attendance at any cost plan reviews.
- Liaison with PQS / Cost Manager to acquire order/ LOI coverage to allow early procurement of long lead items.
- Ensure all costing / tender documentation is filed within the appropriate document.
- Assist in the production a of request for information as necessary.
- For traditionally tendered projects carry out roles and responsibilities set out by bid team specific to each tender.
- Request that the tender set up above is converted to a project.
- Continue to pursue order coverage from PQS/ Cost Manager if this has not yet been received.
- Ensure that any client orders received are filed within the appropriate document pool in LINK and a copy passed to Central Finance to be logged on the order book.
- Ensure that construction issue drawings reflect the agreed scope which has been included in the agreed/ approved costing doc; Issue RFI where appropriate to query any changes.
- Obtain additional subcontractor quotes for these packages / again this can be assisted by Contracts Manager.
- Carry out subcontractor tender analysis.
- Ensure that potential subcontractors are assessed for QHSE competence.
- Ensure that subcontract tenders are sufficient to include all necessary QHSE measures.
- Ensure that contract documents or terms of appointment clearly set out the responsibilities of each of the parties.
- Agree works packages with favoured contractors and place subcontract orders via Focal Point in line with guidance notes QS034.
- Complete initial budget review of scheme on Focal Point to create profit plan, this should include the creation of a cost and sale budget for the scheme which will generate the forecast Gross Margin in line with guidance notes QS031.
- Agree schedule of valuation dates with PQS / Cost Manager.
- Liaise with Contracts Manager throughout construction period to discuss any changes to project.
- Attend site regularly with one of the Contracts Managers, progress meetings or adhoc site visits.
- Collate all Daily Labour Allocation sheets for use in costing variations.
- Cost any variations / drawing revisions as they become apparent.
- Ensure that a change control process is adopted and that the client/ PQS are updated regularly with all/ any changes to the project.
- Liaise with PQS/ Cost Manager throughout construction phase to keep them up to speed with variations through use of Adds/ Omits tracker.
- Ensure that the appropriate instructions are received for all variations be they Architect’s Instructions, CM Instructions etc.
- Obtain subcontract costs for any relevant variations, discuss and agree these with subcontractors and issue relevant instructions.
- A competitive salary and car allowance package.
- Attractive pension scheme.
- 25 days Hols + Bank Hols.
- Genuine career progression.
If you are interested in this role, please contact Mark on 023 8033 2438 or send an updated CV to