Job ID 4544
Experience Required 10 years +
Package Car allowance, pension, medical, hybrid
A regionally based medium sized high end build contractor based in Hampshire are recruiting a Pre-Construction Manager to assist with managing tenders, assisting with planning and design queries within their friendly Basingstoke office with a turnover over £100 million per annum.
In return the contractor can offer the opportunity to progress your career in a growing private business with other regional offices across the south of the UK. In addition this business has a ‘family feel’ with good staff retention and has supported employees through the rising cost of living.
As Pre-Construction manager you will take responsibility and be accountable for all Pre-Construction bid activities. the role involves working collaboratively with Divisional Managers and their teams in guiding strategy for individual bids, identifying and coordinating bid requirements and delivering winning and profitable bids to suit resource availability, capability, geographic location and turnover requirements.
You will be required to work collaboratively with multiple personnel and working with extensive numbers of professional design and client team members.
- Be accountable to the Head of Pre-construction.
- Take responsibility and be accountable for the performance of Company wide Pre-Construction bid activities.
- Work collaboratively with the Senior Leadership Team, Divisional and Department Managers to achieve seamless integration at all times.
- Demonstrate strong and stable leadership to your team in accordance with the culture and ethos of the business.
- Implement the monitoring and reporting criteria set by the Head of Pre-construction.
- Ensure internal controls, systems and processes are in line with business needs and are effective and consistent across all teams, utilising feedback to implement improvement where required.
- Obtain and evaluate feedback from clients, professionals and supply chain and proactively share information with management teams.
- Take ownership of departmental standards and targets, and communicate those standards with the rest of the estimating team.
- Improve the brand and business reputation.
- Participate in and assist in attracting, recruiting, developing and retaining top calibre talent.
- Manage consultants engaged in Pre-Construction activities to ensure their efficiency and effectiveness and that these relationships are maintained and developed in the best interests of the Company.
- Manage companywide Pre-Construction operations to achieve consistency in project risk mitigation and profit generation which equals or exceeds the best market standards.
- Reviewing and evaluating present and future opportunities, threats and risks in the external environment and implement Pre-Construction strategy to address them.
- Provide support to other members of the estimating team as required using experience and technical understanding.
- Be responsible for managing, developing and improving the bid process Company wide, including; Working with Divisional Management teams to set annual strategic objectives for project and turnover requirements.
- Implement systems to assess and analyse the risk and opportunity within bids, ensuring robust process are in place to mitigate risks and maximise opportunity.
- Lead the preparation of bid proposals, attendance to interviews and presentations to consultants and clients.
- Identify and implement consistency of approach, team capability and quality of presentation at interview and other external interface opportunities.
In close collaboration with the Divisional Managers utilising effective work sharing strategies;
- Review all incoming bids to fully understand scope and expectations, ensure overall suitability and to identify risk and opportunity. Communicate concerns to senior management for immediate action.
- Prepare, coordinate and update for the life cycle of the bid, an effective action plan, ensuring it is suitable and proportional for the scale and scope of the bid, including communicating the plan to all affected parties and departments.
- Coordinate and oversee, during the life cycle of the bid, that general bid conditions and Company business requirements are being met by both our bid process and final submission.
- Coordinate change management during the life cycle of the bid.
- Coordinate, and engage in where required, supply chain interaction and relationships.
- Coordinate bid management from receipt to delivery, working closely with Divisional and Group resource, to ensure effectiveness of process and bid success.
- Assist with selecting suitable subcontractors for the enquiry process.
- Ensure estimating and administration team communicate with subcontractors and provide feedback to their submissions.
- Adjudicate bid submissions to ensure compliance, adequacy and suitability of commercial and operational ‘pitch’.
- Ensure the content is professional, comprehensive and appropriate for the requirement of the bid, technically correct and branded.
- You will maintain close working relationships with project teams and implement an effective method of feedback during the project and to make change to the bid process as required.
- Ensure estimating and administration teams communicate with subcontractors and provide feedback as to their submissions.
- An understanding of Contractor Design Portions, and the risks and responsibilities inherent in the various forms of contract.
- The ability to prepare contractors proposals where required.
- Managing the risk and opportunity portfolio for the department.
- Instigate and manage the handover of bids from the Pre-Construction teams to Divisional Manager and Project Team at the point of likely appointment, ensuring an effective handover and ownership of the bid is transferred. In conjunction, assist with the following activities where required;
- Bid negotiation and associated activities post bid submission to ensure a satisfactory and beneficial outcome.
- Contractual appointment and finalisation of project documentation and compliance matters to ensure commercial and operational risk is reduced to a minimum.
- Setting of budget and procurement parameters.
- Compliance matters are implemented (insurances, bonds, Escrow, ecological, licenses, other conditions).
Work collaboratively with the Group Marketing department to;
- Ensure continuity of branding is maintained.
- Prepare promotional material.
- Hosting of corporate events.
- Coordination of Group marketing opportunity.
- Preparation of PQQ’s.
- Preparation of bid submissions.
- Identification and harvesting of suitable marketing material and data.
- Drive continual improvement in marketing activities.
Network with contacts to identify project opportunity, communicate Company project requirements, obtain feedback and evaluate markets.Communicate effectively with management and project teams to obtain and collate relationship, networking and project opportunity information.
Obtain and analyse market information and statistics to assist in the development of robust Business Plans, working collaboratively with Divisional Managers to effect strategy.
On an ongoing basis review data sources (planning portals, Builders Conference) to identify project opportunity, assessing and actioning opportunity appropriately. In return, you will be rewarded a competitive salary package including £5,000 car allowance, 24 days holidays, workplace pension and private medical insurance
If you are interested in this role, please contact Mark on 023 8033 2438 or send an updated CV to